Saturday 16 May 2009

First Ever Post

The first time I heard Barbra Streisand blasting out the words, “I’m the greatest star, I am by far, but no one knows it” I thought “yes, this must be about me! I can relate to this, only, if Barbra feels this frustration what hope is there for me?!” Of course, she is actually singing as the character of Fanny Brice in the movie ‘Funny Girl’ (a real-life character that worked her way to the top despite not being ‘traditionally’ attractive) yet as a slightly over-weight, frizzy haired and ridiculously tall child (ridiculously short in later years as I stopped at 11 years old – nature’s little joke against me) I thought she was singing my thoughts. Or did I?

Do we support the underdog so much that we actually MAKE ourselves the underdog? All great success stories, especially those that have been made into movies, feature people succeeding after terrible hardships and bad luck. What good is a plot where a child is born into a famous, wealthy acting dynasty, with beautiful genes, and so they go on to have a glamorous wonderful life? Boring, that’s what it would be. In fact we would want to turn the plot around and have them realise that life is hard, they have been complacent and possibly conceited so they go and become a nun in the Congo. And so from this hatred of people still doing well in their lives despite lack of suffering and hardship is something so inherently British that we have actually conditioned ourselves to aim to BE an underdog as – because of the movies – we clearly will win-out.


This is stupid: tall, blonde leggy girls will always get the jobs no matter how easy or hard they’ve had it.



Well here i am in the crazy world of Blogging. I'm not sure how it all works as yet, and i definately don't know how to make it look good but i will get there!

I have been out in the world of acting for about seven months in possibly the worst year ever to leave drama school but things can only get better!

M x

No comments:

Post a Comment