Monday 21 September 2009

The Quest for Stardom

It was about a year ago that I had my showcase at the end of my time at drama school. Lots of things have happened - maybe not as many big things as I would have liked - but lots of things. I found something i wrote at the time that makes me realise thank God I'm not back there again:

It has been three days since I had my London Showcase – symbolising the end of my acting training and the start of my career. I am back in my home town; at the first theatre I ever performed in dressed in a colourful ‘Andy Pandy’esque outfit with brightly coloured make up sat at the side of the stage wondering if this really is: ‘showbiz’. I have been a children’s party clown for years and years: a fun Saturday job for my teenage self and now a suitable stop-gap whilst waiting for my ‘big-break’. The company also puts on theatre shows and I have been roped into performing in an anniversary performance under the slight pretence “all the old guys will be back”. A grand total of two out of approximately twenty have turned up and I am left wondering if I’m a bit soft...

Until 5:40pm yesterday I had not a single call from an agent and I was feeling pretty worried. Other members of my group (generally male) had various calls as soon as we had come of stage, yet all I had was a concerned feeling as in my head I had thought, “I am AWESOME, people will be clamouring to sign me if these other guys are having interest”. Thankfully an agent I had met previously as a mock interview through my drama school the previous month was still interested and wanted me to meet them again the following Tuesday. Of course since then I have been worrying that the other agents will wait until next week to get in contact and I will have already given this one an answer! I have luckily since snapped out of it, realising that firstly this one hasn’t actually offered as yet and secondly, the phone is not ringing...

No comments:

Post a Comment