Saturday 6 August 2011

Return of the Mack

Return of the Mack, Return of the Mack....
Guess who's back...back again... and other songs about returning! I am back in the world of blogging and I have chosen both the criminals Mark Morrison and Eminem to speak for me as we share such a close affinity. So the last time I 'blogged' I was off for a singing job in Norfolk in Christmas 2009 and all was well, a pretty devastating bereavement then occurred and that was it for blogging for me; it felt trivial. Until Now.

So almost two years on from my last blog, but what have you missed? Well where to start, where to start...the rowdy pensioners starting fights during my speed-awareness course? The child that told me 'we should be happy with what we've got because some people don't have a home and can't even speak properly'? I could launch straight into the incident of the time I was waiting to go into an audition and started chatting with a part-time actor-come-community support officer who decided to explain to me about the tricky-ness of finding those pesky severed heads after decapitation from jumping in front of trains. Hmmm maybe more of that later.

The thing that has sparked my engine, as it were, was reading Jon Richardson's 'It's Not Me, It's You' WELL, talk about 'Killing Me Softly' (and no I don't actually want anyone to actually talk about that stupid song: 'yes apparently it's about Barry Manilow', 'oh how interesting', 'he used to play for Bette Midler, didn't he?', 'Oh I love her, she's fabulous') I could identify with a lot of this book, although I'm only half way - there could be a big twist as yet and it could all be a dream or he was dead all the time, but I doubt it. Now obviously anyone knowing me and knowing something of the comedian Jon Richardson would say, "WTF?!" (they would say full words, obviously, but I don't like bad language on my blog thank you very much) "Jon Richardson is quite obviously incredibly clean and tidy and if we remember your room in Uni/drama school correctly it somewhat resembled the junk yard the scary lady in Labyrinth lived in, minus Sarah's replica house."
Ok I will give you that, BUT what I did feel a similarity with was not just his discomfort in the discussing of bodily functions - THANK GOD SOMEONE IS FINALLY SPEAKING OUT ON THIS HORRENDOUS OCCURANCE IN POPULAR CULTURE; neither was it because of his neuroses (I have recently started my own party business and I have to take two of everything: double the amount of balloons and prizes, two iPods, two Ipod docks plus back up Cds and player plus on top of this I not only pack all my equipment the night before, I then check it all 5 times before setting off and half way down my road, I pull over and check it through again as, whilst driving, I have convinced myself I'm missing something vital that will ruin this 6 year old's party and it will forever be my fault that this child then needs psychiatric help and doesn't grow up to be a happy, well-rounded human being all because of the disappointment that was her 6th birthday party) - but for the simple fact he has been single for many years due to the search for perfection in everything he does. This I get.

I have had relationships in the past that have been good for a while, but then gone south. I then have had a long period of time that I have devoted to my career and it's been ok; the media would make you believe I am a complete sad-case, or that I have emotional issues, but really it's been a mixture of not being all that bothered and not meeting anyone I have liked enough to pursue anything. This would be firstly because most of my male friends are gay and secondly, and most importantly, I am seeking something that probably is impossible. Any readers of this blog will know I place most of the blame on Jane Austen, Teen Films and Musicals but is this so bad? TV would make you think that a romantic drought of 2 months is shocking, I think this is misleading and unfair; try 6 years. I might point out at this juncture that in no way do I require pity - you may all be fabulously in-love out there but I'm just happy waiting it out to meet someone that's right for me, I have other things to keep me occupied in the meanwhile - which seems to be Richardson's point (although I haven't got to the end yet so I'm not sure quite what his ramberling point is, if there is one). You may also be wondering, 'Marinda, what is your point?' Well, dear readers, I guess it's a kind of round about way to say read Jon Richardson's book, I found it really refreshing to find I'm not on my own, especially when it comes to a love and demand of proper grammar and the distrust of menus with incorrect apostrophes. He also is not a fan of B&Bs and having to make awkward breakfast chit-chat - I know this may surprise a lot of you as I am Little Miss ChatterboxTM during most hours of the day and was only complemented this week on my excellent telephone manner, but this is probably one of my top ten hated things, ERGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment